InstallUtil and BadImageFormatException - Facepalm
I had a frustrating issue at work this week: one that was easy to fix, but embarrassingly difficult to find. I came pretty close to giving up, which is not a solution I often explore, but in the end we figured it out and got everything working.
A member of our operations team was installing a Windows service I’d built to monitor some stuff in our production environment. I’ve made a few windows services in my day, and installed them many times on many machines. I’d even installed this one on my development machine with no issue. In our staging environment, however, this is what we got:
C:\Install\TheService>C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe TheService.exe Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 4.0.30319.1 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Exception occurred while initializing the installation: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly ‘file:///C:\Monitoring\Service\TheService.exe’ or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
We checked the likely things: the framework version, the platform the app was built for, even re-copying the files in case they somehow got corrupted. When these didn’t work, we started trying more radical things: forcing all assemblies to 32 bit, even running the service as an executable to see if there was some error in the app.
In my defence, we are both experienced engineers, and I’m not the only person who missed it. Look closely at the command line we used:
Long version: Service applications in Visual Studio 2010 are 32 bit by default, and this is a reasonable default for them to have. We were trying to install the 32 bit service with the 64 bit version of InstallUtil. InstallUtil loads the target assembly to access it’s installation instructions, but you can’t load a 32 bit assembly from a 64 bit application (or vice versa). If you try to, you get a BadImageFormatException.
Short version: Two numbers derailed my entire afternoon.
It would have been nice if the error message from InstallUtil was a little more specific, but I suppose this isn’t a common problem. At least I got a good reminder about the importance of checking the small details when the big ones aren’t bearing fruit.